Skip to main content

Is Your Blood Type Compatible?

The youngest is learning about the human body this year. In the past, we've done a lot of experiments with the human body, but this one experiment was really fun learning about blood types.

Here is another activity we've done on blood: http://meanttoteach.blogspot.com/2014/04/blood.html
I'll eventually get a chance to group all of our human body activities because I have more on my blog.

There are 4 blood types: O, A, B, and AB. We discussed what a donor was, what a receiver was, and why it matters for doctors to know if the blood types are compatible when someone donates blood. We talked about antigens and how a patient could become very sick if their body rejects new blood.

This experiment was simple.

All you need is:
Two colors of food coloring (Red and Blue work best, but I only had yellow and blue. So that's what we did.)
Water
Dry Erase Marker

1. Fill each cup halfway with water.
2. With the dry erase marker, label each cup with one blood type.
3. In the cup labeled A, put in 2 drops of red coloring.
4. In the cup labeled B, put 2 drops of blue coloring.
5. In the cup labeled AB, put in 2 drops of blue and 2 drops of red coloring.
6. Stir the water to blend colors in.
7. The cup labeled O is left with clear water.

Continued steps to start experiment:
1. To determine if the blood types are compatible, choose one cup of water to be your donor blood type.
2. Look at what will happen if you were to pour that water into each of the other cups (the receivers).
3. If the water of the receiver cup changes color, then the blood types are not compatible. If the water doesn't change color, then that blood type can receive your donor blood.
4. We put a check mark if the receiver blood can accept the donor blood and an x if it couldn't.

You can find this experiment with the chart at learninandearnin.com.

My youngest thought this was so fun and she is type O blood. So she loved figuring out that her blood type is the universal donor (able to give to all other blood types).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behavior Chart

I found a behavior chart image online that I really liked because it detailed, but I couldn't find a website to print one. So I made my own. I did this in photoshop and if you would like to print one for yourself you can here . After I printed it, I hung it in a picture frame and can use dry erase markers to check off.

Solar System Bracelets

Well, it was that time again - to learn about the solar system, galaxies, how we get our seasons, the moon phases, etc. You can check out our Space Unit that we completed a couple years ago, when we covered space. Meant To Teach: What's out there in space??? Also, here is the solar system we completed a couple of years ago. Meant To Teach: Solar System Complete This time I decided to do something different with the girls. I might add, it was also much easier than our solar system above. I decided to do solar bracelets this time!

I Gave Up Control

I've not posted very much this year, probably because this year we've been so relaxed with our schooling and the girls have been very independent that there has really not been much that I could think to write on. Plus, with my girls being so much more independent I've been working more with my photography business. My oldest also has her first job and we just stay super busy. However, in looking back where I was a year and a half ago to today I started to think about our journey and where it's gotten us. In previous posts, you will have seen where we stopped doing school completely. My kids didn't stop learning, but the textbooks stopped. We gained SO much from that 7 months that are beyond all textbooks. You can read on our previous journey on the links below. We Quit School Child Led Learning in JUST the First Week What If We Trust? There's Value in Being Relaxed Today I decided that I wanted to talk about more than what this journey did with our s