Skip to main content

Proud mommy/teacher moment

My oldest daughter is in the Homeschool 4-H club in our area and I required her to write a speech. She whined and complained because she didn't want to do it. She is not too keen on writing. But its one of those things - she needs to learn and this mama knows it.

After writing her speech and saying it, she told me, "I'm glad I did it now. This may be fun." That was the first of the proud moments in pushing her to do something she didn't want to do. When it was time to say her speech to the homeschool group - there were kids of all ages in the room. She said her speech with kids of all ages in this group. She did a fantastic job. Lo and behold, she surprised herself and won 1st place and got a ribbon to move onto the Sub-County round.

This picture is taken of her before that moment of winning first among homeschoolers.

Then we were off to the Sub-County round at a local community college. She was nervous, the crowd was much bigger this time. She went from being judged by one judge to being judged by three judges. She was up against a lot of 1st place winners of local area schools and she had a lot riding on this one. She knew that she was representing all homeschoolers, as she was reminded by her teacher (aka me) and her 4-H leader (also a homeschool mom). We sat through an hour of listening to the speeches and Kylee even got a little jumbled up on hers - you could tell she was nervous. The night was coming to a close as the judges went out of the room to determine the winners and who would end up going to the County round. As they came back to the room, they called all the speakers to the front to get trophies, ribbons, etc. The first name they call for 1st place was my daughter! We were just as surprised as she was - I think I even had tears. There were a lot of good speakers, but I was so proud. So it looks like we will be moving on to the County round next month.

These pictures are taken at the Sub-County round. The first picture is her with her Nana and she was the 5th speaker - number 5 is her "lucky number".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behavior Chart

I found a behavior chart image online that I really liked because it detailed, but I couldn't find a website to print one. So I made my own. I did this in photoshop and if you would like to print one for yourself you can here . After I printed it, I hung it in a picture frame and can use dry erase markers to check off.

Solar System Bracelets

Well, it was that time again - to learn about the solar system, galaxies, how we get our seasons, the moon phases, etc. You can check out our Space Unit that we completed a couple years ago, when we covered space. Meant To Teach: What's out there in space??? Also, here is the solar system we completed a couple of years ago. Meant To Teach: Solar System Complete This time I decided to do something different with the girls. I might add, it was also much easier than our solar system above. I decided to do solar bracelets this time!

I Gave Up Control

I've not posted very much this year, probably because this year we've been so relaxed with our schooling and the girls have been very independent that there has really not been much that I could think to write on. Plus, with my girls being so much more independent I've been working more with my photography business. My oldest also has her first job and we just stay super busy. However, in looking back where I was a year and a half ago to today I started to think about our journey and where it's gotten us. In previous posts, you will have seen where we stopped doing school completely. My kids didn't stop learning, but the textbooks stopped. We gained SO much from that 7 months that are beyond all textbooks. You can read on our previous journey on the links below. We Quit School Child Led Learning in JUST the First Week What If We Trust? There's Value in Being Relaxed Today I decided that I wanted to talk about more than what this journey did with our s