Skip to main content

Thanksgiving


As an adult, I've gathered so much myself from teaching my own kids about Thanksgiving. I think that growing up, we have just taken it for granted. But it really is amazing to me, learning about the pilgrims and realizing that they came to this country so they could have the freedom to worship God. WOW! How we take that for granted! Yet, today - its disappointing that not enough people want to worship God. Our country truly was founded on Christianity. Somewhere along the way and through the years - it seems we have lost that. Now, we can't even say Christmas in a store! The first Thanksgiving, after half of the pilgrims had died from sickness, the other half had the chance to go back to England and they chose not to. They, instead, chose to stay here and thank God for their blessings! What a great group of amazing people. If only we had more "William Bradfords" today!

Over the last month, we've learned about pioneers from Spain, England, Holland, and France. I love the book we got from Christian Liberty Press that we've been reading "living" stories from. Its called Pioneers and Patriots. You can check it out here. We've learned about Indians. Meant To Teach: Native Americans...or as Christopher Columbus named them "Indians" We've learned about the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock. We've learned interesting facts about the turkey, as well with how Benjamin Franklin wrote a letter to his daughter saying he thought the turkey should have been the US National Symbol. We've also gone over the Thanksgiving custom of "Pardoning the Turkey" at the White House. The list could go on and on. There's so much information!

We've had a week full of Thanksgiving copywork. It is all verses from the Bible that have to do with giving God thanksgiving! We got these for free from http://www.copycatbooks.com/free_m_printables.htm. You can find them in cursive or print. We just started doing copywork. Kylee loves it!

We've ended each day with a craft! Pictures are posted. Under the picture, I posted the link for where I got the craft (just in case you want to do these with your chitlins' - this is my made up slang word meaning "children").

Over the last month, we've done everything imaginable that is related to Thanksgiving. I gotta say, I'm actually anxious to move into December - because we're going to be doing ONLY Christmas projects. Its going to be a sort of "long" break for us as far as school. Something I'm looking forward to in December is teaching my girls more about the Birth of Jesus. We're going to take an in-depth look at the Christmas story. That's something you can't do in public school these days. We'll be learning about Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh and what all that really is. As well as mapping out the long journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem. I'm looking forward to teaching my girls less about Santa (now that we can avoid that from being in Public School) and more about the REAL reason for Christmas. Not that anything is wrong with Santa, but my oldest daughter knows the truth now - so now we can move onto something more meaningful. :)



The girls put on a puppet show with their puppets. These cute pilgrim cutouts were easy to make with a paper bag, a little glue, and some crayons! You can find them, along with many other crafts, at http://www.dltk-holidays.com/thanksgiving/crafts-pilgrims.htm. I like to go here a lot for craft ideas!

We modified this craft just a little bit, but you can find it at www.dltk-holidays.com/thanksgiving/turkey_crafts.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behavior Chart

I found a behavior chart image online that I really liked because it detailed, but I couldn't find a website to print one. So I made my own. I did this in photoshop and if you would like to print one for yourself you can here . After I printed it, I hung it in a picture frame and can use dry erase markers to check off.

Solar System Bracelets

Well, it was that time again - to learn about the solar system, galaxies, how we get our seasons, the moon phases, etc. You can check out our Space Unit that we completed a couple years ago, when we covered space. Meant To Teach: What's out there in space??? Also, here is the solar system we completed a couple of years ago. Meant To Teach: Solar System Complete This time I decided to do something different with the girls. I might add, it was also much easier than our solar system above. I decided to do solar bracelets this time!

I Gave Up Control

I've not posted very much this year, probably because this year we've been so relaxed with our schooling and the girls have been very independent that there has really not been much that I could think to write on. Plus, with my girls being so much more independent I've been working more with my photography business. My oldest also has her first job and we just stay super busy. However, in looking back where I was a year and a half ago to today I started to think about our journey and where it's gotten us. In previous posts, you will have seen where we stopped doing school completely. My kids didn't stop learning, but the textbooks stopped. We gained SO much from that 7 months that are beyond all textbooks. You can read on our previous journey on the links below. We Quit School Child Led Learning in JUST the First Week What If We Trust? There's Value in Being Relaxed Today I decided that I wanted to talk about more than what this journey did with our s